Author Spotlight: Ashley Erin
February 6, 2017 • News
1) How did you get started as an author and what made you want to pursue that field?
I’ve always had a love for books, ever since I read my first novel when I was six. Throughout school I enjoyed writing fiction and used to dream about publishing. In 2014, I discovered self-publishing and decided to really go for it. I began writing my first novel and hit publish March of 2015.
2) What hurdles have your overcome while striving towards your goals?
My biggest hurdle is self-inflicted. It’s self-doubt. I wonder if my books are good enough. Then I remember that while I do want to be successful and I do want people to enjoy my novels, I’m writing the stories in my heart and that’s so important.
3) Which novel has been your favorite to write and why?
Without Walls and The Fine Line Between Love and Hate are probably tied. Just because they’re so completely different from my other novels.
4) For those looking to become an author, what advice would you give them?
My biggest advice to new authors is to focus on writing first. Secondly, spend the money to have hire an editor, proofreader, formatter, and cover designer. It’s not cheap, save your money, and invest in yourself.
5) Favorite motto?
If you always do what you’ve always done, you’ll always get what you’ve always gotten.
6) In one word, how would you describe your writing style?
7) Which author inspires you the most and why?
This is a challenging question, because many authors inspire me. If I have to choose just one, Colleen Hoover. She’s so generous.
8) What is your writing process like?
I am what authors called a pantser. I jot notes down here and there, important details I need to remember, but I outline nothing because a story never ends up the way I initially think it will.
9) Goals for 2017?
I have four projects I would like to finish, even if it’s just to the rough draft point. I’m currently working on a standalone called Why Not Me?, afterwards, I will see which speaks to me the most. I want to write The No Authority Rule, All About Forever, and Abyss (the first book in a paranormal romance trilogy). We will see what happens, I will focus on what flows best.
10) Will you be attending any author events where your readers can meet you?
I am attending For the Love of Books and Raleigh in the summer and Glass City Author Event in October.
Stay up to date with all of Ashley’s latest releases on Facebook!