Model Spotlight: Nick Evangelista
February 6, 2013 • News
Model Spotlight: Nick Evangelista
Nick Evangelista is a 20 year old Nationally Qualified Physique Competitor from Long Island, New York. Currently, he is attending school to become a Physical therapist. In addition, he owns a supplement store called Big Daddy’s Supplements and Personal Training. This year he plans on going for his pro card!
1) What first got you interested in fitness and how has your passion grown?
I first got involved in fitness when I was about 15 years old. I had just had appendectomy surgery and went from 135lbs to 115 lbs. Unfortunately they had messed up the surgery by kinking and twisting my intestines when they went in the first time. I was skin and bones at that point. As you could imagine the recovery was not quick. To pass the time I started reading Muscle and Fitness and I became fascinated with the human body. I remember saying to myself if they can do this so can I. I read every book I could get my hands on about nutrition, proper techniques and theories of working out. From the very moment the doctor cleared me I was dedicated to perfecting my body to the best of my ability. I am now 165lbs at 4% body fat.
2) What hurdles have you overcome while reaching towards your fitness goals? One of the biggest hurdles I have overcome is the constant pressure of everyone saying competing in the NPC naturally would be impossible. I have went against the odds and at 19 years old I have beaten men almost double my age in some cases. I have been improving in each competition, first coming in 10th, then 4th, 3rd, 3rd and 2nd in my most recent competition. My next goal is to place 1st place overall.
3) For those looking to get in better shape, what tips would you give them? The most important thing to anyone starting off or looking to get into overall better physical health would be making sure you’re in the right state of mind. If your minds not in it then you won’t succeed. Everything is a mind game; you must put in the work and the constant dedication and without the right mindset it will be very hard to progress.
4) What are your favorite physical features? My favorite features are my eyes, back and abs. Many people work very hard to perfect these two muscle groups and luckily mine developed symmetrically, which is a problem many people face.
5) Favorite motto? “If you’re absent during my struggle don’t expect to be present during my success.” – Will Smith
6) In one word how would you describe yourself? HUMBLE.
7) Tell me something that most people don’t know about you? I’m my biggest critic. I expect myself to exceed any expectations placed on by myself.
8)Who inspires you in the fitness industry? Sadik Hadzovic has helped me a lot and has taught me to always help people and embrace competition. Jimmy Murtaugh got me where I ‘am today, lead me in the right direction and is a great friend of mine.
10) What can’t you live without? I can’t live without my family. None of this would be possible without them. They help me whether it’s with my diet, competition prep or personal problems. I know they are always there cheering and pushing me to succeed.
11) Any final thoughts you would like to share with the CJC Photography readers? You shouldn’t let anyone tell you that you can’t do something. If you put your mind to it nothing can stop you. Never follow, always lead by example.