Author Spotlight: N.E. Henderson
January 29, 2018 • News
1) How did you get started as an author and what made you want to pursue that field?
I’ve always had stories inside my head wanting to be told. When I was young, I never had the confidence to even try. Finally, at 27 years old I said, fuck it I’m doing this.
2) What hurdles have your overcome while striving towards your goals?
I’m still overcoming hurdles but I’d say learning and improving my writing. The main reason I never had confidence in myself was because I had always struggled with grammar in school. Now, I love learning.
3) Which novel has been your favorite to write and why?
Silent No More, my debut novel, is still my favorite. It’s the story that finally forced me to try the crazy notion that I could publish a book. There are also things in the book that gave me closure—and that was something I didn’t know I needed.
4) For those looking to become an author, what advice would you give them?
Do it. What do you have to lose? But make sure you go in eyes wide open. Learn about publishing before you hit that “publish” button. If I could go back and do it all over, I would have written at least three books before releasing the first.
5) Favorite motto?
I really don’t have one.
6) In one word, how would you describe your writing style?
7) Which author inspires you the most and why?
There are so many: Penelope Douglas, Sierra Simone, L.J. Shen to name a couple. Their words are beautiful and moving.
8) What is your writing process like?
All over the place. I rarely write in order. I write a scene as it comes to me. I usually have the beginning and the ending written before the middle.
9) Goals for this year?
Publish 3 books. Hit USA Today list. Get a literacy Agent for foreign and audio rights/deals.
10) What new projects are you currently working on?
Dirty Blue is my current WIP and is slated to release March 22, 2018.
11) Any final thoughts you would like to share with the CJC Photography readers?
Thank you so much for snapping the perfect shot of Blake on my More Than Lies Cover. It was perfect and you are such a talented photographer.